The renovated Agnes E. Wells Quad Student Residences was dedicated Sept. 25 during a ceremony that IU President Michael A. McRobbie presided over.
In 2015, the IU Board of Trustees approved the Wells Quad renovation project with a budget of $30 million. It features a patio and dining opportunities such as a branch of the popular Kirkwood Avenue institution Nick’s English Hut. Wells Quad houses a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learning community for students in related majors.
The buildings in Wells Quad have histories. Memorial Hall was dedicated in 1925, and it was the first women’s residence on campus. Goodbody Hall, originally named Forest Hall, was built in 1936 and served as a women’s residence as well. Goodbody Hall is known for its unusual sculpture of a duck wearing a mortarboard and glasses, which is located on the west side of the building. The strategic location of both buildings created a small section of campus that female students could call home.
Eventually, the buildings evolved into office buildings and classrooms. Much of Memorial Hall was dedicated to the Department of Apparel Merchandising and Interior Design until that program was incorporated into the School of Art, Architecture, and Design in 2016. Goodbody Hall was home for many years to the Department of History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine. The School of Art, Architecture, and Design is now headquartered in Kirkwood Hall, in the historic Old Crescent district of campus, and History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine is now located in Ballantine Hall.